Friday, July 10, 2009

Maa kasam!

So it finally rained in the lands of Modi!
and yes, motherhood beckons!

Before you raise your hairy eyebrows..lemme explain.
At MICA, we have this tradition that the junior who occupies your 1st year's room, becomes your Room-Beta/Beti which effectively makes the senior his/her Room Baap/Maa. Its an unsaid, unspoken version of Mentor-mentee but yes, much more fun than the formal protocol.

So for every tuccha (senior) there is a faccha (junior) who is his/her baccha! :D

This new on-campus relation is very sweet. During the notorious 'culturization', Room-parents take their kiddos' unlimited case and the kiddo has to run around the campus deciphering his new-found family tree. So if I have a brother on campus he becomes the Room Mama and a boyfriend - then the Room Baap. My best friend - the torturous Room Maasi and so on and so forth...

On the surface this may seem a lil' frivolous, even childish. But it isnt either. A junie - say a fresher, first time away from home, away from friends and family in a faraway place can get easily lost in the crowds. First year brings with it a wave of insecurities and self-doubt. In such times, it feels nice to have someone keeping an eye on you. The assignments, groupisms, grade-cuts and occasional incidents of being thrown out of class can get to you. The insane company rankings (they never matter!), summer placements and wrath of professors can drive anyone to the verge of insanity. Add to this, that we stay on a campus far away from civilisation and see the same 300 people every single day!! Phew!

So you do need someone...apart from your batchmates - whom you can crib and complain about the workload, bitch about your batchmates and go running for notes one night before the exams.

My room-ma was the non-interefering kind. A sweet soul who always inquired how things were with me. I wish I had known her better but yeah, she was known to be a bit of a loner.
I hope I am good to my room beti. I have already ragged the poor thing during the 'interaction' and made her run all over the campus during the Treasure Hunt, but she took the whole thing so sportingly! It felt nice that she tagged along with me introducing me as her Room ma..it just felt so nice that Parijat Paanch is now in safe hands. I hope that place showers her with same love, warmth and homeliness that I got from it...moreso, wonderful memories to last a lifetime and a legacy to pass on to someonelse...

I cant put it any better than this - (which btw, was written on the ceiling of Chandni Chaar - my favourite senior Bhatter's room)

They were the worst of times;
They were the best of times.

No comments:

Post a Comment