Friday, May 22, 2009

Random ramblings...

The other day, Babdu - my cousin, asked my age casually. Now I being of an age where I don't have to lie as yet, pat came the reply '23'. He teasingly replied that at this age his mom was not only married but was also a mother!
Hmmph! Such dialogues always leave me stumped!
Yes, I know, girls of my generation are highly career minded and a post-graduation is not deliberated any more in family meetings but generally assumed and even socially expected! But then whatever happened to mental and emotional maturity?
Even though the average marriage age has gone up for girls, it makes me kinda wonder if the emotional maturity level has taken a downward dip. I some how believe that even at say 27 I would be as silly and immature as I can imagine by 22 year old aunt to be at the time she got married.
Has today's 'AC classroom' education taken away some of life's real experiences? Or that life itself has changed so dramatically that it longer offers us a chance to face the heat and tan a little?
Anyways, it is a scary thought that someone thinks I should have been married by now!! Gotto avoid social functions and weddings with vengeance now...never mind the yummy food at TipTop Plaza!! The fact that someone inquired if Dr. Shinde's elder daughter is up for marriage has petrified me to bits!

2 comments:

  1. A few months back, I would have been as surprised as you. I remember my jaw dropping when a friend of mine told me her mom was 21 when she was born. However, over the past 6 months or so (in the US, I must specify), I have seen 21 year old girls with 5 year old children, and most girls my age (25) have kids, and a lot of these mothers are still single. Having known a few of them personally, I can make out that they make really good mothers, though they are otherwise just like me - bubbling students who love partying and hanging out with friends. But having kids has automatically made them responsible like never before. So I am guessing getting married young and or/having kids early is not that big a deal after all. Over the last couple of years, many people who I grew up with have been married (mostly girls). I still remember them in their school uniforms, and when I think about it, they are probably just as emotionally/mentally matured as I am. Yet I can't imagine myself being married or being a parent for at least a couple of years. The thought scares me. But I do know now that when my turn arrives, the responsibly will come to me automatically.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *responsibility

    ReplyDelete